Antique cross stitch of angels


My grandmother Miriams cross stitch


This is a dresser scarf which my then 16 year old grandmother Miriam  made as a part of her trouseau before marrying my grandfather Girious. See their initials? Below the central motif is the year they married "1936". Dresser scarves were considered an important possession in our culture. She would have made two matching bedside table pieces as well  but they were long gone when I began poking through the linen drawers as a child.
  I have jealously guarded this piece nearly my whole life and have meant to frame it. The stains were present before I took possession, probably cosmetics. They have worsened over the years so it's time for me to do something- not sure what. Seeking professional conservationists I think.

I love this work because it's a hybrid  design of the  two styles of cross stitch  that I adore  . The motifs along the corners and edges are definitely Palestinian as are the camels. Yet there is  clear French  influence in the  cherubs, ferns, central motif. Mono color work is present in both styles but Palestinian embroidery often uses high contrast so we have outlines in black.  Her choice of baby blue is very European  as most Palestinian embroidery I have seen uses vivid colors.
Grandma would have used a chart for this but by the end of her life she had motifs memorized and was a great designer. My mom borrowed my collection of grandmas work so I don't have many  samples on hand. In due time. I adore historical textiles!

Personal updates:
It's been two months since my friend from Chicago came to visit me. We had lost contact but she found us and came running upon hearing of my cancer. She  must of brought magic dust with her because ever since she came something shifted.  It was like the angels descended on our home and though there are still issues, one key is that our son is slowly returning to us emotionally and dare I say? .... Spiritually too. He is reaching out every other day. From zero to 70 as they say. I think he wants to come home but logistically, he cannot.
Also, my cancer markers began to plummet! It was a watch and wait situation and nothing was moving except the markers had gone sky high. Then they dropped. I am 6 points from normal range.
I wonder what my friend did sometimes. She prayed but I have had prayers. If you are still praying for me, then know you were joined by one more diligent spiritual being. Maybe we just need magic numbers of loving people?  Or perhaps it's because she was here physically? Or maybe.... just maybe, she restored my faith in humanity and by extention, the heavens? I began to pray too (shocker!) , after a long hiatus of complete doubt. Perhaps I allowed my angels back into my life?
Sue, you taught me to ask my dear. I am asking:)

OK, so post three with no tech issues here on Blogger. Maybe it's
 my new permanent home.....

Comments

  1. So Happy that your friends visit helped bring some magic into your world dear Linda. and even more so to hear the news that your Son is reaching back out to you.. Wonderful News..
    And you know You have my prayers dear Linda..
    Love and Hugs your way.. I do not always go into my Blogger so may not always catch your posts or your replies.
    But I have you here in my browser and will be back often..
    Love and Hugs and wishing you all a Magical Christmas where Miracles keep happening.. xxx Love and HUGS xxx Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. A good dose of friendship, goes a long way. I'm so glad it lifted you up. Sometimes we just need a breath of fresh air in our lives, to clear out the cobwebs! Maybe that's why you son needed to get out in the world too. To grab some fresh air, along with some pollution (no doubt) to figure out where he ultimately, needed his head space to be?

    I'm a bit late catching up, but just wanted to let you know it was great to read this positive influence in your life! I also like your grandmothers cross-stitch. It's any wonder marriage wasn't taken for granted - when you spent a great deal of your time, making these memories of your union.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Its great to hear from you.

Popular Posts