Home made charcoal

We have willow saplings which grow like weeds on our land so I don't feel too bad about taking some twigs to make charcoal. I'll be making more and will try to document the process better next time but for now, the basics. You need a sturdy tin with a tight fitting lid . Drill a hole in the lid. I used one of those awful floral shaped, tubular, baking tins.

Cut twigs to size then strip outer bark. Secure lid and bury into the edge of a bonfire, campfire, or other open fire. Leave for an hour or so. Be cautious....things are HOT! 
 And voila.


The process needs perfecting but I love the velvety richness of this black. Far prettier than what I have bought so far. More to come on the home made art supply front over time. I'm attempting to make a gift set for my daughter on the twins birthday next month.

Comments

  1. Wonderful way to have your own endless charcoal sticks. And I do hope you share your gift set with us you are making after your daughter and Sons Birthday.
    Have a great weekend.. Sending Lots and LOTS of love your way.. <3 Hugs Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the long delay Sue. I have been very busy with Garrys pre transplant appointments and exhausted overall. I never made the kit but will be soon. I will share for sure. Hope you are well. Miss talking to you.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Its great to hear from you.

Popular Posts